Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week that was: 21 August 2014

The Squidlets after the Ak Independent Book Festival
This last weekend I had the privilege of taking the Squidlets to the first Auckland Independent Book Festival over in Devonport. We made a great day of it, taking the bus into the city and the ferry across the harbour. The kids loved the ferry trip, but I have to admit, I really enjoyed the event more. It was such an inspiration seeing so many independent authors and self-publishers. I was told there were over 90 exhibitors at the event and I do not doubt that next year is going to be even bigger and better.

Louise de Varga organised the event and what an amazing job she did!

I made my way round both halls that were filled with displays of books and author's wares. It was so neat seeing the 15 plus authors I knew and it was fantastic meeting new friends as well.

I came home with contacts for many more editors and professional proofreaders and will share their contact details in another post this coming week.

Last week's achievements:
* Visited the Auckland Independent Book Festival
* Added progress bar to my blog
* Edit 'Pinnacchia' and 'Snow' (FINALLY!)
* Read Cress by Melissa Meyers and watch Hansel and Gretle: Witch Hunter but I really wished I hadn't – lets not go there.

What I hope to achieve this week:

* Write first five chapters for 'Briar' – my Sleeping Beauty adaptation
* Update Wattpad with new chapters
* Write 'Copy editor' post
* Catch up with writery friends
* Write beat script for first chapter of 'Hero story'

So that last goal is all about a new story idea I have a-brewing. I love the story, have really enjoyed telling it to many people, but I am not so sure it would make money in the traditional sense – I can't see it getting into the right hands if I just try to sell the book. So I have been thinking of new ways to tell a story as essentially that is all I really want to do with this Hero Story.

I've been in contact with a few mates who are in the TV & film industry and wondered how adapt it into a story for the screen – but which screen is yet to be decided. I'll keep you posted, but if you are keen to learn more, feel free to drop me a line.

Just quickly, a few interesting links to check out this week:

Scientists believe reading on a device is harder than on paper – I wonder who paid for that research?
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/kindle-ereaders-make-it-significantly-harder-to-absorb-the-plot-of-a-book-scientists-claim-9679643.html

Crap someone should have told us writers by now – love it!
http://rebeccatdickson.com/2013/09/04/crap-someone-should-have-told-you-writers-by-now/

What is a Beta Reader and how do you find them?
http://annerallen.blogspot.co.nz/2014/08/what-is-beta-reader-everything-you.html?spref=fb

Great value placed on reading to kids – not rocket science.
http://booknotes-unbound.org.nz/kate-de-goldi-prescribes-reading-aloud-child/?fb_action_ids=687899951286839&fb_action_types=og.likes

How would lower ebook prices by the big 5 ruin marketability for self-publishers? Digital book world discuss this here: http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2014/why-do-some-self-published-authors-care-how-hachette-prices-its-books/

Chch is hosting the Writers & Readers Festival for 2014. Definately worth going along if you are in the region, more information here: http://wordchristchurch.co.nz/

And I love this: 27 Awesome Australian Books Every YA Fan Should Read – how many have you read?http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/awesome-australian-books-every-ya-fan-should-read

That's all for now, I'll post more information on where to find an editor in NZ.

Over and out,

Joy Findlay




No comments:

Post a Comment